Bacon, Onion & Cheese Chowder
Description Creamy thick chowder
- 2 T diced dried onion
- 1⁄4 t dried garlic
- 2 T flour
- 1⁄8 t ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 t worcestershire sauce powder
- 1 c dry milk
- 3 oz freeze-dried cheddar cheese (or fresh)
- 3 T shelf stable bacon or bacon bits
- 1 T olive oil (1 packet)
- 3 1⁄4 c water
- At home pack the onion and garlic in a small bag. In another small bag pack the flour, pepper and Worcestershire sauce powder. Pack the milk, cheese and bacon in small bags. Tuck the oil in with the bags.
- Add 1/4 cup water to the onion bag and let sit for 15 minutes or so.
- Heat the oil over low heat in your pot. Saute onions till done and turning golden brown. Blend in flour, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Cook while stirring for a minute for the flour to cook.
- Add in the bacon and gradually add 3 cups water, stirring constantly. Blend in the dry milk. Bring up the heat and let come to a boil, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Turn off the heat and add in the cheese. Stir well and let sit covered for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.