Breakfast can be a tough one when backpacking and camping, especially if you like to get up and get moving. Granola mixes are a great option and make a convenient backpacking recipe to bring along. Eat with powdered milk, in a freezer bag, or just munch on it dry like a trail mix.
- ½ cup sunflower or other neutral oil
- ½ cup honey, preferably raw
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp dried culinary lavender, finely ground
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 8 cups old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup each raw cashews, sliced raw almonds and diced macadamia nuts
- ½ cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup golden raisins
Preheat oven to 325°.
Mix the oil, honey, sugar, vanilla, lavender and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl mix the oats, nuts and coconut. Pour the warm oil mixture over and stir until mixed, using hands if needed.
Spread on two rimmed large baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, take out and stir, bake for another 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove and stir in the berries, let cool, stirring as it cools.
Once cooled store in an airtight container(s).
Makes about 11 cups.