Cheesy Bacon Grits
Recipe Type: Breakfast
Cuisine: Freezer Bag Cooking, Insulated Mug Method, One Pot Meals
Description Savory fuel for the trail.
- 2 pkt instant grits
- 2 T dry milk
- 2 T bacon bits or shelf stable bacon
- 1⁄2 t onion powder (not onion salt!)
- 1⁄2 t dried diced garlic
- 2 oz shelf stable cheddar cheese
- 1 c water
- At home pack the dry ingredients in a pint freezer or sandwich bag, depending on method used for cooking. Tuck the cheese in with it.
- FBC method:
- Dice the cheese up, add to the freezer bag. Add in 1 cup near boiling water stirring well. Seal the bag tightly and let sit for 5 minutes or until cool enough to eat.
- Insulated mug method:
- Dice the cheese up and add it and the dry ingredients to your mug. Add in 1 cup boiling water and stir well. Cover tightly, and let sit for 5 minutes, or until cool enough to eat.
- One pot method:
- Dice the cheese up, meanwhile bring 1 cup water to a boil in your pot. Turn off your stove and add in the dry ingredients, then the cheese. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for 5 minutes, or until cool enough to eat.
Find instant grits in well stocked grocery stores, in the cereal aisle. Make sure they are NOT ‘quick cooking’.[br]Find shelf stable cheese at www.packitgourmet.com. You can sub in fresh cheese or freeze-dried as well, depending on taste/pack weight/length of trip.[br]To add more fat, use whole fat dry milk.[br]This meal works well as a savory breakfast or as “polenta” for dinner.[br]Dry weight of recipe is 5.8 ounces.