Blustery Day Double Potato Chowder
Description Hearty soup
Recipe type: Soups, Dinner
Cuisine: One Pot Meals
- 1 c dried instant hash browns
- 1⁄4 c diced dried onions
- 4 t low sodium vegetable or beef bouillon
- 1 t dried parsley
- 1⁄4 t diced dried garlic
- 1⁄4 t dried thyme
- 1⁄4 t ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 c instant mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 c shelf stable parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 c fried onions
- 1 T olive oil (1 packet)
- 4 c water
- At home:
- In a sandwich bag pack the hash browns through black pepper. In a second bag pack the mashed potatoes through the fried onions. Tuck in the oil.
- In camp:
- Add the vegetable/seasoning bag and 4 cups water to your pot. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes for the vegetables to rehydrate. Add the oil, stir well and bring to a boil. Lower the flame to low, cover and simmer on a low boil for five minutes. Turn off the stove and the contents of the cheese/potato bag to the pot. Stir well, taste for seasoning and more pepper and salt as desired.
This was featured in the November/December 2009 issue of Washington Trails Magazine.