Spicy Tuna Linguine
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: One pot Meals
Description Italian inspired one pot pasta
- 8 oz linguine pasta
- 1⁄2 t granulated garlic
- 1⁄4 t red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 t ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 t dried oregano
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil (2 packets)
- 3 oz albacore tuna pouch
- 2 T dry bread crumbs
- 2 T shelf stable parmesan cheese
- At home:
- Break the pasta in half and pack in a sandwich bag. In a snack size bag pack the seasoning blend. In a second snack bag combine the bread crumbs and cheese. Tuck in the oil packets and tuna pouch.
- In camp:
- Add the oil to the snack bag with the seasoning, seal the bag and gently massage the bag to combine. Let sit while you prepare the pasta.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil, add in the pasta and cook for time on package, around 9 minutes. Reserve a little of the pasta water, drain off the rest.
- Toss the pasta with the tuna and flavored oil, toss again with the breadcrumb mixture. Add reserved water as needed to coat the pasta.
This recipe is one of our “Recipe Re-Do’s”. The original recipe called for a pouch of tuna in oil. They are slowly appearing in grocery stores. If you decide to use one, add in the pouch of tuna (with oil) and 1 Tbsp olive oil. You can also a 5-ounce can of olive oil packed tuna (look for cans with pop top for easy opening).[br]Instead of heating up the oil and spices at the end in the pot we let them infuse while the pasta cooked. To save a dirty pot by all means after cooking the pasta you can toss everything together in a new gallon size freezer bag.[br]We added in bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese at the end give the pasta a great coating and ‘finish’ the meal. We used plain, Italian flavor would also be great: http://www.progressofoods.com/?View=OurProducts_Foods[br]Nutritional stats per serving, recipe makes two servings (based on products we used):[br]637 calories, 19.5 grams fat, 26 grams protein, 4.5 grams fiber.