Spam-Tastic Lo Mein
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: One pot Meals
Description Trashy trail food
- 3 oz pack ramen or 4 ounces chuka soba
- 2 T diced dried carrots
- 2 T diced freeze-dried bell peppers
- 1 T diced dried onions
- 1⁄4 t diced dried garlic
- 1⁄4 t red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 t dried powdered ginger
- 1 pk spam single (lower fat)
- 1 T vegetable oil (1 packet)
- 2 t sesame oil
- 1 pkt soy sauce
- 1 pkt freeze dried green onions
- 1 pkt diced peanuts
- Pack the ramen (discard flavor packet) and vegetables in a quart freezer bag. In a small bag put the seasonings. Put the vegetable and sesame oil in a small bottle and pack with the bags, soy sauce packet, Spam and green onions/nuts.
- Bring the water to a near boil. Add the water to the freezer bag, seal tightly and put in a cozy for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in your pot add about 1/2 the oil. Heat over a low flame. Add in the Spam and using a spoon cut it into wedges. Cook till turning golden brown and it smells of bacon. Take off the heat.
- Drain any remaining water from the ramen. Add the remaining oil and ramen mixture to the Spam and return to a low flame. Start tossing with chopsticks. Add in the soy sauce and dry seasonings. Keep tossing till the pasta is just starting to get golden. Top with green onions and peanuts.
The green onions can be found in Asian grocery stores or you can use dried chives. For the peanuts 1 Tablespoon if you cannot get packets (think ice cream toppings).