This recipe was featured in Washington Trails Magazine and as well is featured in our book, Trail Eats.
One Pot Chickpea Pasta
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: One pot Meals
Description Hearty vegetarian friendly pasta
- 4 oz spaghetti, broken into thirds
- 2 T cooked and dehydrated garbanzo beans
- 2 t lower sodium vegetable bouillon
- 1⁄4 t diced dried garlic
- 1 t dry parsley
- 1 ds red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 t ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 c shelf stable parmesan cheese
- 1 T olive oil (1 packet)
- 2 c water
- At home:
- Pack the spaghetti in a sandwich bag. Put the beans through black pepper in a snack size bag and the Parmesan cheese in a second snack bag. Pack with the oil.
- In camp:
- Add the bean bag and oil to your pot with the water, let sit for 15 minutes.
- Bring to a boil, add in the spaghetti and cook over a gentle boil for time on pasta package or until al dente. (There will be broth remaining).
- Turn off your stove and add in the cheese, stirring well and let sit for a couple minutes to meld. Salt to taste if desired.
Cooked and dried Garbanzo beans (chickpeas) can be found online at www.harmonyhousefoods.com.[br]For overnighters in cold weather you can also carry canned beans that you drain before leaving and carry in a zip top bag. Take at least 1/4 cup or more and use first night out.[br]This recipe was featured in Washington Trails Magazine, January-February 2011. http://www.wta.org/trail-news/magazine/archives/