Mango Chicken Curry over Lentils and Rice
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: One pot Meals
Description Spicy high protein curry.
- 1 1⁄2 c instant rice
- 1⁄2 c cooked and dehydrated lentils
- 1⁄2 c chopped dried mangoes
- 1 t low sodium chicken or vegetable bouillon
- 2 t mild curry powder
- 2 t garam masala
- 1⁄2 t diced dried garlic
- 1⁄2 t ginger powder
- 1 T corn starch
- 1 t dry onion
- 1⁄4 t turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 t cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 t kosher salt
- 7 oz pouch chicken breast
- 3 c water
- At home:
- Pack the rice and lentils in a quart freezer bag. Pack the sauce ingredients in a sandwich bag and tuck the chicken pouch with the two bags.
- In camp:
- Bring 2 cups water to a near boil and add to the rice/lentil bag. Stir well, seal tightly and put in a cozy for 15 minutes.
- In your pot bring 1 cup water and the sauce ingredients to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer till the sauce thickens (this takes less than a minute). Stir in the chicken, breaking up any large chunks and then take off the heat, cover tightly and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Divide the rice and top with the sauce.
This was a recipe re-do of a recipe that called for both raw rice and lentils. By using dehydrated versions one doesn’t need two pots nor extra fuel. I also tweaked the spices as the original was quite heavy handed. The recipe called for 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper of which we cut back to 1/4 tsp. If you do not like spicy foods consider cutting it back to 1/8 tsp or entirely leaving it out. All the spices can be found at any well stocked grocery store, including the garam masala.[br]Nutritional Stats per serving:[br]682 calories[br]4 1/2 grams fat[br]40 1/2 grams protein[br]7 grams fiber[br]719 mg sodium[br]Dry weights:[br]Rice/Lentils and dry sauce: 14.2 ounces. Chicken 7.3 ounces.