Lazy Hiker Mac N’ Cheese
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: One pot Meals
Description Re-supply dinner made easy
- 1 pk 14-ounce kraft deluxe macaroni & cheese dinner
- 1⁄2 c mixed dehydrated vegetables
- 1 pk 3-ounce pouch or can chicken
- 3 c water
- At home pack the vegetables in a snack size bag. Tuck in with everything else.
- Cover the vegetables with 1/2 cup of the water. Let sit for 15 minutes. Add the rest of the water to your pot, along with the rehydrated vegetables (and any left over water). Bring the water to a boil, add in the macaroni and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often. Turn off the heat and cover tightly. Let sit for another 5 minutes. In cool weather use a pot cozy to retain heat.
- Stir in the chicken and the cheese sauce mix, stirring well.
In nearly all grocery stores you can find 14-ounce packages of “Deluxe mac n’ cheese” by both Kraft, Velveeta and house brands. The advantage is you don’t need dry milk or butter/oil. And honestly, for boxed mac n’ cheese this is the tastiest way to go.[br]It isn’t a fancy gourmet meal, it will though stick to your ribs and satisfy your hunger after a hard day.[br]For full info see the blog entry:[br]http://blog.trailcooking.com/2009/07/01/hiker-trash-meals-resupply-mac-n-cheese/