Honey Mustard Pasta Salad
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: One pot Meals
Description Quick pasta salad
- 4 oz small pasta shapes (less than 7 min. cooking time)
- 1 cn sliced olives
- 1⁄4 c diced roasted cashews
- 2 T shelf stable parmesan cheese
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 1 T honey
- 1 T white vinegar
- 1⁄4 t ground black pepper
- 4 c water
- At home whisk the olive oil, mustard, honey, vinegar and pepper till combined. Pack in a snack size zip top bag. Pack the pasta in a sandwich bag, the cashews and Parmesan cheese in a snack size bag. Open the olives and put in a snack bag, with liquid.
- On trail:
- Drain the olives, setting aside.
- Bring the water to a boil in your pot, add in the pasta and cook for time on package. Drain carefully, toss with olives and dressing, then with the cashew cheese.
- Eat warm or set the pot in a snow bank or shallow section of a stream to chill down for a cold salad.
- For FBC method:
- Use precooked and dehydrated pasta, pack in a quart freezer bag. Add near boiling water (2 cups) to cover the pasta, seal tightly and put in a FBC cozy for 15 minutes. Proceed as above.
Look for small pasta shapes that cook in under 7 minutes to conserve fuel use. The dressing is shelf stable but if one wanted you can also use single serving packets to create it on the trail (check out www.minimus.biz). On olives you can use any type you like and consider using those in the gourmet olive bars at many grocery stores – olives are quite hardy and carry well. You can also use freeze dried olives, check them out at www.packitgourmet.com – add them with the pasta to plump up.[br]http://blog.trailcooking.com/2010/06/30/recipe-re-do-honey-mustard-pasta-salad/