FBC Hybrid Thanksgiving On The Trail
Description Turkey Day Dinner
Recipe type: Dinner
Cuisine: One pot Meals, Freezer Bag Cooking
- 1 1⁄2 c instant mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 c dry milk
- 2 T butter powder
- 1 pn salt
- 2 T dried cranberries
- 1 T diced dried shallots or onion
- 1 T crumbled dried mushrooms
- 1 pkt mushroom sauce or gravy mix
- 1 t burgundy wine powder
- 1⁄2 t worcestershire sauce powder
- 1⁄4 t dried garlic
- 1 pk 7-ounce chicken
- 1⁄4 c shelf stable parmesan cheese
- 1 T olive oil (1 packet)
- 5 1⁄2 c water
- 6 oz lower sodium chicken stuffing mix
- 1⁄4 c freeze dried vegetable blend
- At home in a quart freezer bag pack the stuffing mix. In a second freezer bag pack the potatoes, milk, butter powder and salt. In a small bag pack the dried vegetables and fruit. In another small bag put the gravy, wine and Worcestershire sauce powder and garlic. Pack the cheese in a small bag and tuck the chicken and oil with the bags.
- Add ½ cup cold water to the vegetables. Seal bag and let sit for 5-10 minutes to rehydrate.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in your pot. Add 1¾ cups to the stuffing mix, 2¼ cups to the mashed potato bag. Stir well on both, seal the bags tightly and put into a cozy till your gravy is ready.
- Add 1 cup water, the oil, chicken with any juices, vegetables, 1 packet cheese and gravy mix to your pot. Bring to a boil stirring a couple times. Lower the heat to low, cover and cook for a minute or till the gravy thickens up.
- Plate up, dividing up the potatoes and stuffing and drizzling the gravy over. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
A big favorite for hiking is making Thanksgiving on the trail. It is very filling, satisfying and can feed a couple people in a few minutes. By thinking the meal out one can do it 'FBC Hybrid' style, where the starches are made in bags, the gravy in your pot. This allows one to cook for up to 3 using a simple 4 cup pot.