Chicken Fried Rice
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: One pot Meals
Description Chicken fried rice
- 2 c instant rice
- 1 c freeze dried vegetable blend
- 2 t low sodium chicken bouillon
- 1 T dried chives
- 1 t dried garlic
- 1⁄4 t dried ground ginger
- 7 oz package chicken
- 2 T vegetable oil (2 packets)
- 2 pkt soy sauce
- 2 eggs (in shell)
- 2 3⁄4 c water
- At home pack the rice through ginger in a quart freezer bag. Tuck the chicken, oil and soy sauce packets with it. Wrap your eggs in paper towels and tuck into your mug for safety. (See notes below for using dried eggs)
- In camp:
- Add 2 3/4 cups near boiling water into the freezer bag. Stir well, seal tightly and put in a cozy for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a trail wok or 2 L non-stick pot over medium heat, add eggs, cook until done, stirring occasionally. Lower heat if you can to low. If you cannot, keep the pan just above the flame, not resting on the stove.
- Stir in rice, chicken and soy sauce (to taste). Toss till mixed, stirring constantly till heated through and smelling fantastic.
Eggs are fine for first night out (and can carry for a couple days if in un-cracked shells). To make this meal shelf stable pick up Ova Brand instant eggs instead and carry two eggs worth in a small bag. Add the called for water, seal the bag tightly and shake till mixed. Proceed as with fresh eggs.[br]Find the eggs here:[br]http://www.packitgourmet.com/Ova-Easy-Egg-Mix-p285.html[br]The recipe uses what we call ‘FBC Hybrid’ where you prepare part of the meal in a freezer bag (FBC Style) then finish cooking in your pot. This allows use of only one pot instead of having to carry two. You can also prepare the rice in your pot, then transfer to a bowl while you heat up the oil if desired.