Cheezy Rice and Vegetables
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: One pot Meals, Vegetarian
- Pack into a quart freezer bag –
- 1½ cups instant brown rice or home cooked and dehydrated brown rice
- ½ cup freeze-dried vegetable mix (such as JustVeggies)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Pack in a snack bag –
- 1/3 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp granulated garlic powder
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt and ground black pepper, each
- Pack in a small bag –
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch or favorite thickener (arrowroot, potato starch, etc)
- Also take –
- 2 cups shelf stable unsweetened non-dairy milk (see above for links and options)
- Raw or spiced cashews for topping, if desired
- FBC Hybrid –
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil, set aside for a minute or two. Add it to the rice bag, stir well, seal tightly and put in a cozy for 15 minutes.
- Two Pot Method –
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a 1 Liter pot, add in the rice bag contents, return to a boil, take off the stove and cover tightly. Put in a pot cozy for 15 minutes.
- For Sauce –
- Add ¼ cup of the milk to the cornstarch bag, seal and shake to dissolve cornstarch. Meanwhile, add the remaining milk to a 1 Liter or so sized pot with the nutritional yeast bag contents, bring to a boil, turn the flame down on the stove to maintain a low boil. Add in the cornstarch liquid, whisk or stir rapidly till thickened, take off the stove.
- Fluff up the rice and divide, top with the sauce. If desired, sprinkle cashews on top.