Car Camping Spaghetti
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: One pot Meals
Description Add garlic bread for a pasta feast!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 c tomato juice (1 pint 2 ounce can)
- 3 c water
- 2 T dried onion
- 1 1⁄2 t chili powder
- 1 t granulated garlic
- 1 t oregano
- 1 t sugar
- 8 oz spaghetti
- At home:
- Cook the ground beef, drain any fat away. Let col the refrigerator and then pack up in a freezer bag. Keep stored tightly in cooler and use within 24 hours.
- Pack the dry seasonings together along with the cans.
- In camp:
- Combine the cooked beef, tomato paste, tomato juice, water and seasonings in a large pot, bring to a boil. Let simmer until the beef is warmed through.
- Add in the spaghetti (break if needed to fit), stir well to separate. Let simmer covered for 30 minutes or until the pasta is done and the sauce is thickened, stirring often.
- Serve with shelf stable Parmesan cheese liberally on top.
Notes[br][br]This recipe was a long time favorite of Mrs. Kelly, a long time Girl Scout Leader. This can be a fun family oriented car camping recipe, that while it needs extended cooking, is easy to do. By precooking the meat you have no grease to dispose of and the pasta cooks in the liquid – so no draining!