In the October 2007 issue of Backpacker Magazine the recipe of Salmon-studded Spaghetti by Kelly Bastone was printed. While it sounded great and very tasty, it wasn’t very portable for backpacking. It needed 2 pots, along with a longer cook time.
In my One Pot Makeover I changed a few things and whipped it up in one pot. It cuts down on fuel needed as well as cooking time. The result is a very tasty and more friendly meal. It isn’t a lightweight meal, but it will fill you up. As for carrying the artichokes and capers – this needs to be a first night out trip. They will be fine carrying them for the first day. The artichokes I used did come with a poptop as well, if you don’t mind carrying a can out, by all means pack the can in. Capers are pickled – they don’t spoil very fast.
Packaged and ready to go:
Cooking the pasta:
Stirring in the salmon and artichokes:
Final mix ins:
- 8 oz thin spaghetti
- 1⁄4 c italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 c parmesan cheese (shelf stable)
- 14 oz artichoke hearts (quartered)
- 1 T capers (non-oil variety)
- 2 pkt extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pk 3 ounce smoked salmon
- 4 c water
- Break up the spaghetti into thirds and put in on bag. In a small bag, add the Italian seasoned breadcrumbs and the Parmesan cheese. In another bag, add the artichoke hearts and capers. Also take with you the package of smoked salmon and the packets of olive oil.
- In camp, bring the water to a boil in your pot (2L size recommended). Add in the pasta and cook for time on package (mine was 6 minutes). Lower heat on stove to keep the water gently boiling during cook time. When done, turn off stove and carefully drain the pasta.
- Add in the artichokes and capers, salmon and oil, mixing in well. Return to your stove and on very low heat carefully warm up for a few seconds. Turn off stove and add in the cheese/bread crumbs. Stir to blend.
Nutritional info per serving, based on two servings.
750 calories, 20 grams fat, 35 grams protein.
See the story behind this recipe: http://www.trailcooking.com/content/one-pot-makeover-artichoke-salmon-pasta