- 1 pk 7 ounce chicken breast
- 2 pkt shelf stable ranch dressing (5 ounces total)
- 1⁄4 c shelf stable bacon bits
- 1⁄2 c shelf stable parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 t dried cilantro
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1⁄4 t chili powder
- 1⁄2 c freeze-dried corn
- 1⁄2 c water
- 1⁄4 t granulated garlic
- In a sandwich bag pack the corn and seal tightly. Mark on it “Add ½ cup water”. Pack the cheese, bacon bits and spices in a tightly sealed snack size bag. Tuck both bags in with the chicken pouch and the ranch tubs.
- Bring 2 large tortillas or bread of choice with you as well.
- Add cool water to the corn bag and let soak for 1o minutes. Drain off any remaining water carefully. For mixing up the chicken salad you have three ways – in your pot or bowl, in the corn bag or carefully in the chicken pouch.
- Break the chicken up with your spoon, fold in the corn, then the ranch dressing. Stir in the seasoned cheese.
- Spread on wraps, roll up and enjoy!
For everything used in the recipe and more notes, visit our blog:
Wed, 09/12/2012 – 09:40 — CM31
I packed this in on my backpacking trip to/from Mount LeConte and enjoyed this meal along with my hiking buddy. The preparation was a breeze and it was a very hearty lunch on the descent Sunday afternoon. I used *drained* corn from a can as I knew the overnight temperature was going to be cool at the peak. All I had to do come lunch time was, mix-in the dressing and then spoon out onto the shells! Nice,cool refreshing meal that fueled us both nicely.
Mon, 09/12/2011 – 14:55 — Cobberman
No need for water
I made these on a trip last weekend and only brought one packet of ranch dressing as the commentator above. I got my freeze-dried corn from Whole Foods under the Organic Just Corn brand. Instead of rehydrating the corn with water as the instructions recommend I figured I could use the leftover juice in the chicken container to hydrate them. So I made everything inside the foil container and it worked out well. No mess! I’ll definitely be adding this recipe with my changes to my go-to list of delicious backcountry grub.
Mon, 09/12/2011 – 19:23 — Sarah
That is an even better idea for rehydrating Thanks!
Tue, 08/10/2010 – 18:36 — andra
Made these on a 5 day trip.
Made these on a 5 day trip. Nice change from our usual fare. Spices were great and the recipe handled the fact that I used dehydrated celery and sundried tomatoes because I couldn’t find corn. I did use less dressing (3 oz instead of 5oz) and think the 5oz would’ve been too much for my trip. Overall, very yummy.
Fri, 04/09/2010 – 17:48 — California Hiker
Southwest Chicken Corn Wraps
These are great! Easy to make and taste great. Wipped these up on top of San Gorgonio for lunch. Added the water (left over from breakfast) to the corn just before we left base camp. Lots of compliments. Thank you Laughing