Spicy Cheesy Beans and Rice
Description Lightly spicy rice.
Recipe type: Dinner
Cuisine: Freezer Bag Cooking, Insulated Mug Method
- 1⁄2 c instant rice
- 1⁄4 c cooked and dehydrated kidney beans
- 1⁄4 c freeze dried okra
- 2 T cheddar cheese powder
- 1 T dry milk
- 1 pkt tabasco sauce
- 1 T olive oil (1 packet)
- 1 c water
- Freeze dried okra: http://packitgourmet.com/Okra-p435.html
- Mild cheddar cheese powder: http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.php?ct=dfmbc&cn=Cheese+Powder
- Cooked and dehydrated beans: http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Dehydrated-Beans_c_2.html
- Tabasco sauce in handy packets: http://www.minimus.biz/Tabasco-Brand-Pepper-Sauce-packet-F03-3700100-110...
- For a spicier dish use 2 to 3 packets of Tabasco sauce.
- Dry weight is around 4½ ounces.
- At home:
- Pack the dry ingredients in a sandwich or quart freezer bag. Tuck the Tabasco and olive oil packets with it.
- In camp:
- FBC method:
- Add the oil and near boiling water to the bag. Stir well, seal tightly and put in a FBC cozy for 15 minutes. Stir in the Tabasco sauce.
- Insulated mug method:
- Add the dry ingredients, oil and boiling water to your insulated mug. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for 15 minutes. Stir in the Tabasco sauce.
- One pot method:
- Bring the water and oil to a boil, add in the dry ingredients. Take off the stove, cover tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir in the Tabasco sauce. In cool temperatures use a pot cozy.