Spicy Beef & Tomato Couscous
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: Freezer Bag Cooking, Insulated Mug Method
Description Beef and tomatoes
- 3⁄4 c couscous
- 1⁄4 c diced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1⁄4 c cooked and dehydrated hamburger or ‘beef’ tvp
- 2 T diced dried onion
- 1 T dried chives
- 1 T dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 t low sodium beef bouillon
- 1⁄2 t ground cumin
- 1⁄2 t dried garlic
- 1⁄4 t ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 t red pepper flakes
- 1 T olive oil (1 packet)
- 1 1⁄2 c water
- At home pack the dry ingredients in a quart freezer or sandwich bag.
- FBC method:
- Add the oil and 1 1/2 cups near boiling water and stir well. Seal tightly and put in a cozy for 10 minutes. Fluff up. Salt to taste, if desired.
- Mug method:
- Add the oil and 1 1/2 cups boiling water to the dry ingredients. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff up. Salt to taste, if desired.
The original recipe called for beef jerky that was shredded in a blender at home beforehand. This could be used as well, but due to not being boiled as in the original, the jerky will most likely be still quite chewy.[br]I changed the recipe to using low sodium beef bouillon. You don’t have to follow this, and can use vegetable or beef bouillon. This is a way though to watch the sodium content. The recipe also called for 1/2 tsp of sea salt. If you use normal bouillon, you don’t need that extra salt![br]Dried hamburger is very easy to make at home, but if you are a vegetarian or want an easy option, use flavored TVP! It is easy to use with a long shelf life. Harmony House Foods sells a great little sampler kit of TVP.[br]Sun dried tomatoes? My favorite to use is Just Tomatoes. They are thin, easily crumbled and not chewy like most out there.