Red Bell Pesto Veggie Pasta
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: Freezer Bag Cooking
Description Tasty spicy pasta
- 1 pkt red bell pepper pesto dry mix
- 4 oz cooked and dehydrated pasta
- 2 T dried mushrooms, crumbled
- 1⁄4 c shelf stable parmesan cheese
- 1 T olive oil (1 packet)
- 1 1⁄2 c water
- 1⁄4 c freeze-dried mixed vegetables
- At home:
- Split the packet of pesto mix into 4 portions, packing into tiny plastic bags. (makes 4 meals) Pack the pasta and vegetables in a quart freezer bag. Pack the cheese in a small bag and add it and the oil packet to the other bags.
- In camp:
- Cover the pasta and vegetables with near boiling water. Seal well and put in a cozy for 15 minutes. Open bag and if any left over water, carefully drain off most of it, leaving a Tablespoon or two behind. Add in oil, pesto mix and mix well. Top with cheese and stir again.
Using 1/4 of the pesto pack per meal gives good flavor without being too strong or salty. A 3 ounce can of chicken or 1/4 cup cooked and dried hamburger added to the meal gives more protein and fills a larger appetite.