Mediterranean Lentil Salad
Recipe Type: Dinner, Lunch
Cuisine: Freezer Bag Cooking, One Pot Meals, Insulated Mug Method
Description No-cook vegetarian salad
- 1 3⁄4 oz cooked and dehydrated lentils
- 3⁄4 oz diced dehydrated vegetable blend
- 1⁄2 t dried lemon powder
- 1 T olive oil (1 packet)
- Preparation notes for home:
- The lemon powder was made by thinly slicing three unwaxed lemons with a mandolin and drying on the dehydrator. The brittle slices were then powdered in a pestle and mortar. I dried the lentils (a can of ready cooked) at the same time.
- Pack the ingredients in a small snack bag or a pint freezer bag, tuck the oil in with it.
- Add the dried ingredients to your pot and cover with boiling water and stir. You now have the option to simmer the mix or place the pan in a cozy. Either way leave until the water has been absorbed (five or so minutes). Add the olive oil and season to taste and stir.
- (You can also prepare this recipe by these methods:
- No Cook: cover with cool water in the bag and letting it sit for 15 to 30 minutes.
- FBC: Add hot water to cover in the bag and let sit for 15 minutes in a cozy.)
- Additions or variations:
- This dish is greatly enhanced by the addition of garlic, I added some crushed fresh garlic after first tasting the dish. I need to source some salt free dried garlic granules that can be added to mix before bagging up (or dry some crushed fresh garlic). Cumin is a worthy addition that acts as a foil to the lemon. And lastly, add 50g of cooked dried rice or quinoa to make a complete meal (you’d need to adjust the amount of water added if you do this). The above quantity makes enough for lunch for one.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe is a take on one of ours, by Baz Carter. Check his blog out for more great ideas:[br]http://bazbackpack.blogspot.com/[br]The recipe was in grams originally (Baz is from the UK), I converted it to US weights – so you will need a scale. A scale though is a great thing to have if you hike. You can weigh your food as well as your gear.