The Health Bowl
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: Freezer Bag Cooking
Description Lentils, rice and veggies – super healthy trail food.
- 3⁄4 c instant rice
- 1⁄4 c cooked and dehydrated lentils
- 1⁄4 c diced almonds
- 1⁄4 c dried cranberries
- 1 T diced dried carrots
- 1 t lower sodium vegetable bouillon
- 1⁄4 t turmeric powder
- 1 pn kosher salt
- 1 1⁄4 c water
- At home:
- Pack all the ingredients in a sandwich or quart freezer bag (depending on method used). Seal tightly.
- In camp:
- FBC method:
- Add near boiling water to the bag, stir well and seal tightly. Put in a FBC cozy for 15 minutes. Fluff up.
- Insulated mug method:
- Add the dry ingredients and boiling water to your insulated mug. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for 15 minutes. Fluff up.
- One pot method:
- Bring the water to a boil. Add in the dry ingredients and take off the stove. Cover tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff up.
- In cool temperatures use a pot cozy to keep warm.
This is a large recipe, so you may find that it serves 2 smaller appetites better.[br]For the veggie bouillon:[br]http://www.voguecuisine.com/[br]On the rice you can use white or brown, depending on how you prefer it. Cooked and dehydrated Basmati rice is very nice to use as well.[br]Find precooked and dehydrated lentils and carrots here:[br]http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Lentils-404-oz41_p_1780.html[br]http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Carrots_c_10.html[br]This recipe was inspired by Ski, a hiker who makes up batches with raw rice and lentils. This was my offering to make it more “trail friendly”.