No-Cook Chicken Cranberry Couscous Salad
Recipe Type: Dinner, Lunch
Cuisine: Freezer Bag Cooking, No Cook
Description No-cook protein packed salad
- 1 c couscous
- 1⁄2 c dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 c roasted sunflower seeds
- 7 oz pouch chicken breast
- 1 pkt shelf stable salad dressing
- 1 1⁄4 c cold water
- At home:
- Pack the couscous and cranberries in a quart freezer bag. Put the sunflower seeds in a small bag and tuck with the chicken and dressing packets.
- In camp:
- Add 1 1/4 cups cool water to the bag, sealing tightly. Let sit for about 30 minutes or until fully rehydrated. Fluff up, stir in the chicken, dressing and sunflower seeds.
This is one of our “recipe re-do’s” gleaned. The original recipe called for:[br]A ‘box of couscous’, which isn’t overly helpful as couscous comes in boxes ranging from 7 to 16 ounces! We dialed in what would serve 2. The 1 cup equals a shy 7 ounces weighed.[br]Olive oil – the recipe doesn’t need it with the dressing and we figured how much dressing as well works.[br]An extended sit time of nearly 24 hours – couscous rehydrates in 30 minutes or less, no reason to risk food poisoning! If in very cold temperatures you will want to consider using warm water (if in winter, in the snow for example). You can also make this a warm meal by all means, using warm water and letting sit for 15 minutes, then proceeding.[br]We used a Sesame Asian dressing but you can use anything that sounds good – you will want a shelf stable packet of about 1 1/2 ounces or 3 Tbsp worth. See here for a good selection:[br]http://www.packitgourmet.com/Salad-Dressings-c53.html[br]Nutritional Stats per serving, makes 2 servings total (Based on what we used):[br]700 calories[br]13 grams fat[br]5 grams fiber[br]54.5 grams protein[br]725 mg sodium