Cherry Chicken Couscous
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: Freezer Bag Cooking, Insulated Mug Method, One Pot Meals
Description Hearty pasta dish.
- 1 c couscous
- 1⁄2 c diced dried cherries
- 1 T diced dried onion
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 t true lime powder
- 1⁄2 t diced dried garlic
- 7 oz pouch chicken breast
- 1 T olive oil (1 packet)
- 1 1⁄2 c water
- 1 1⁄2 t lower sodium chicken bouillon
- Pack the dry ingredients in a quart freezer bag or a sandwich bag. Tuck the oil and chicken in with it.
- One Pot method:
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water, oil and chicken with broth to a boil in your pot. Add in the dry ingredients, stir well, cover tightly and turn off the heat. Let sit for 10 minutes, fluff up.
- Insulated mug method:
- Add 1 1/2 cups boiling water, oil and chicken with broth to the dry ingredients in a large mug. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. In cooler temperatures use a pot cozy to insulate. Fluff up.
- Freezer bag method:
- Add 1 1/2 cups near boiling water, oil and chicken with broth to the bag. Stir well, seal tightly and put in a cozy for 10 minutes. Fluff up.
- For all methods, fluff and add salt and black pepper to taste.
True Lime powder is often found in the baking or sugar aisle of most grocery stores. Feel free to use True Lemon as well.[br]You can also bring a small lime and squeeze it in fresh.[br]For the couscous, use either regular or whole wheat for more protein.[br]If you cannot find dried cherries, dried cranberries can be used.[br]For the chicken, look for 5 ounce cans with pop tops or preferably the easy to use 7 ounce pouches.[br]This recipe was featured in WTA’s Washington Trail’s Jan/Feb 2010 issue: http://www.wta.org/trail-news/magazine