Blackberry Green Beans
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: Freezer Bag Cooking
Description Foraged juicy berries done savory.
- 1⁄2 oz package freeze-dried green beans
- 1⁄2 t dried oregano
- 1⁄4 t onion powder (not onion salt)
- 1⁄4 t kosher salt
- 1⁄4 t ground black pepper
- 1 c wild blackberries
- 1 c boiling water
- As you hike pick the wild blackberries. A drinking cup or mug works well as a picking vessel.
- Find and remove the oxygen absorber from the green bean package, add 1 cup boiling water and seal tightly. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Drain off any remaining water carefully. Sprinkle in the seasonings, gently toss. Very gently fold in the berries, let sit for a couple minutes for the juices to release.
- Serves 2 as a side dish.
Notes:[br]Find Mountain House brand green beans at most outdoor shops including REI.[br]While Himalayan Blackberry (Rubus armeniacus) are more prevalent and their berries can be substituted, do try to find the Pacific (Rubus ursinus) if you live in the PNW. Its small, sweet berries are worth the effort, their taste is unparalleled.[br]This recipe was featured in the Trail Eats column in Washington Trails Magazine, September/October 2010.[br]http://www.wta.org/trail-news/magazine/archives