Dry Onion Soup Mix
Recipe Type: Dry Mixes
Cuisine: Dry Mixes
Description Make your own dry onion soup mix, keeping the salt levels low and no MSG.
- 3 T diced dried onion or shallots
- 4 t low sodium bouillon (beef or vegetable)
- 1 t onion powder (not onion salt)
- 1⁄4 t celery seed
- 1⁄4 t ground black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together and store in a tightly sealed bag or container. The mix is equivalent to a commercial envelope that will make 4 cups of soup. (As in this brand)
- Add to rice and other starch dishes to give flavor without added MSG or heavy sodium.
- Depending on your taste you may want to add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt to the mix.
Onion soup mixes are great for flavoring trail meals except for the heavy sodium and as well that most commercial brands contain MSG. This recipe avoids that – allowing you to add salt to taste.[br]You can make it vegan by using vegan-friendly vegetable bouillon.