Recipe Type: Dry Mixes
Cuisine: Dry Mixes
Description Reader submitted trail friendly pesto recipe
- 3 T dried basil, crumbled
- 3 T shelf stable parmesan cheese
- 1 T dried garlic, powder or diced
- 2 T olive oil (or 2 packets)
- 1⁄4 c water
- At home pack the dry ingredients in a snack size bag and seal tightly. Pack the oil in a leak proof bottle or take packets.
- Depending on your use for the pesto sauce, add the oil and up to 1/4 cup water (hot or cool) slowly, mixing till blended. If using on trail sammies, you may want to use less water for a thicker spread. Let sit for a couple minutes to blend the flavors.
Perfect for pasta: Add a couple of diced sun-dried tomatoes, a handful of pine nuts and you have a sauce worthy of any type of pasta.[br]Try with Potato: make mashed potatoes and pesto in two separate bags, use pesto and olive oil and red pepper flakes as condiments for mashers.[br]Wraps: smear on a tortillas! Really good with chicken, shrimp, turkey, tuna, dandelion greens, even makes shoe leather taste good ;-)[br]For a vegan version use vegan friendly faux-Parm found in most natural food stores.