Double Ginger Huckleberry Cobbler
Recipe Type: Dessert
Cuisine: One pot Meals
Description Fluffy sweet biscuits on bubbly fruit.
- 2⁄3 c baking mix
- 1 T sugar
- 1 T diced candied ginger
- 1⁄4 t dry ginger powder
- 1⁄4 c white sugar
- 2 T corn starch
- 1⁄4 t true lime or lemon powder
- 1 c fresh huckleberries
- 1 1⁄4 c water
- At home:
- Pack the baking mix (i.e.:Bisquick®), 1 Tbsp sugar and the two gingers in a quart or sandwich bag. Pack the 1/4 cup sugar, corn starch and True Lime in a snack bag.
- In camp:
- Pick about 1 cup fresh Huckleberries, making sure stems are plucked off. That is about 4 handfuls of berries.
- Add 1/4 cup cool water to the baking mix bag and knead gently till mixed. Seal and set aside.
- Add 1 cup water to your pot and stir in the small sugar bag till dissolved. Add in the berries and bring the pot to a boil. Lower the flame on your stove to as low as it will go and quickly add in the prepared baking mix by dropping in spoonfuls on the hot berry mixture. Put on the pot’s lid and simmer gently on low heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until the topping is done.
Kirk and I developed this recipe for the article “Huckleberry Bites”, that was featured in Washington Trails Magazine September 2009 issue.[br]http://www.wta.org/trail-news/signpost/huckleberry-bites