Lower Sodium Rice You-Know-What Roni
Recipe Type: Dinner
Description Make at home meal
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T fresh or dried diced onion
- 1⁄2 t dried or fresh garlic
- 1 t dried or fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 c low sodium soy sauce (see below)
- 4 large mushrooms
- 1 c long grain white rice
- 1⁄2 c orzo pasta
- 3 1⁄2 c very low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb natural lean hamburger or bison
- In a non-stick pan cook the meat and mushrooms till well done over medium heat, drain grease if any left.
- Sauté rice and pasta in oil about 2 minutes or until pasta is golden brown in a nonstick pan. Add meat, water, broth and spices and soy sauce substitute, cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir every couple minutes – in the last 5 minutes you may need to turn the heat down.
- Dehydrating for trail use:
- Spread on parchment lined trays and dry till brittle dry at 135 degrees. Seal well when cool. Food vac bags are ideal here or use freezer bags. Store in freezer till trip time.
- In camp add equal amounts boiling water to dry food and let sit in a cozy for 10 minutes or so. (ie. 1 cup food, 1 cup water.) A serving would be 1-2 cups re-hydrated. Depending on appetite of course!